Types of Airway Management
There are a wide range of airway management techniques and tools medical trainees must be familiar with. The main division is between basic airway management and advanced airway management. TruCorp medical manikins allow for both types of training.
Basic airway management training covers:
- Airway assessment for obstruction, respiratory rate and volume
- Relieving obstructions by suction or using head tilt, chin lift or jaw thrust
- Maintaining an open airway in an unconscious patient
- Bag-valve-mask ventilation
Advanced airway management incorporates medical equipment and advanced training in order to remove or prevent airway obstruction.
Advanced airway management training usually includes:
- Supraglottic airway devices including oropharyngeal airways (OPA), nasopharyngeal airways (NPA) and laryngeal mask airways (LMA)
- Infraglottic airway devices & techniques
- Surgical airway management including tracheostomy and cricothyrotomy
Advanced airway management is a vital part of training in many medical professions including anesthesiology, nursing, emergency medicine, intensive care, pediatrics and many others.
TruCorp airway trainers are designed to withstand repeated use in a busy classroom setting, making them ideal as:
- Pediatric airway trainers
- EMS training manikins
- Difficult airway trainers
- Nursing airway management trainers
- Surgical airway trainers
Our innovative AirSim airway has anatomically accurate and palpable cricoid landmarks, laryngeal cartilages and tracheal rings and is backed by a 5-year warranty. Learn more about AirSim or request a free product demonstration at your organization today.
Difficult airway options are also available through TruCorp for our adult and pediatric manikins. Our pediatric airway manikins include a model specifically designed to replicate the airways of infants with Pierre Robin Sequence/Syndrome (PRS).
Airway Management in Emergencies
TruCorp airway intubation trainers provide lifelike training in emergency lifesaving airway management techniques including:
- Needle and surgical cricothyroidotomy
- Percutaneous tracheostomy
- Needle decompression of tension pneumothorax
- Cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
Realistic anatomy and movement allow trainees to prepare for real life emergency airway management. Our airway trainers feature full head tilt, chin lift and jaw thrust capabilities and successful ventilation produces an accurate rise and fall of the chest.
Training with Airway Management Devices
TruCorp training manikins are compatible with all airway management devices found in medical facilities. Our innovative AirSim airway was designed using CT DICOM data collected from adults, children and infants. The result is an accurate representation of the oral and nasopharyngeal airway ideal for training with a full range of airway management equipment and devices.
The most common airway management devices are:
- Supraglottic devices
- Bag-valve-mask ventilation
- Endotracheal tubes
The internal and external anatomical accuracy of TruCorp airway trainers is second to none, allow users to easily test out different devices and equipment with realistic feedback.