What is IV cannulation?
TruBaby X facilitates IV cannulation practice at multiple sites.
Intravenous cannulation is when a cannula (a small, thin plastic tube) is placed in a vein to allow for blood drawing or administration of fluids including medication.
IV insertion techniques
Intravenous insertion is an essential skill that requires practice and confidence to perform successfully. Our professional-grade IV trainers have been developed to provide an advanced medical training experience to improve patient safety and treatment.
IV insertion techniques that can be practiced using TruCorp trainers include:
- Infection control measures
- Visual and palpable vein assessment
- Appropriate cannula gauge selection
- Tourniquet placement
- Needle insertion and venipuncture
- IV catheterization & advancement
- Securing/taping IV tubing
- Starting an intraosseous line
- Evaluating IV placement for infiltration
- Administering or removing fluids
Vascular access procedures involve inserting a catheter (a flexible thin plastic tube) into a blood vessel to draw blood or introduce medication directly into the bloodstream over a period of time ranging from weeks to years. A central venous catheter stays in place allowing repeated access without the need for repeated skin punctures.
TruNerve Block ultrasound image showing the transverse view of embedded blood vessels for vascular access training.
Examples of treatments requiring vascular access include chemotherapy, IV nutrition, blood transfusions, hemodialysis and more. A PICC line (peripherally inserted central catheter) is an example of a vascular access catheter that can stay in place for weeks or months.
Practicing vascular access procedures
Ultrasound guidance is frequently used to identify a suitable vein for vascular access. Both the TruBaby X and TruNerve Block facilitate training in ultrasound guided vascular access.
TruBaby X vascular access features:
- Optional arm facilitates ultrasound-guided IV and PICC line insertion
- Realistic anatomy illustrating two visible embedded vessels
- Real feel vascular ‘tenting’ upon entry into the vessel
- Facilitates 100+ needle penetrations using a size 21g needle with self-healing/regeneration of the TruUltra material
TruNerve Block vascular access features:
- Two embedded vessels for ultrasound-guided IV cannulation: small/large and shallow/deep
- Realistic flashback upon entry into blood vessel
- Real-feel vascular ‘tenting’ upon entry into vessel
- Colour Doppler detection of blood flow
Repeated hands-on training over time is required to gain proficiency in ultrasound-guided central and peripheral line techniques. TruCorp vascular access training models are ideal for medical education facilities, radiology, nurses, physicians, emergency medicine, simulation centers and ultrasound education.
Contact TruCorp to request pricing and a free training model demonstration at your organization.
Our unique TruUltra material feels real & self-heals from most needle incisions within 24 hours.
IV training for nurses & other medical professionals
TruCorp IV trainers are ideal for emergency medicine, radiology, surgical training programs, simulation centers and many other organizations. Our products are also used by medical device manufacturers to demonstrate and sell their products.
TruNerve Block is an efficient task trainer for trainee anesthetists to develop, practice and maintain the skills necessary to use ultrasound for guiding regional anesthesia and vascular access procedures.
TruBaby X is a complete pediatric clinical skills training manikin ideal for nurses, anesthetists, EMTs & paramedics, medical assistants and other healthcare industry professionals.
Our TruMonitor patient monitor simulator app can be used alongside our other products to integrate clinical decision-making with medical technique training.